Neilyoung Forumeast
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Neilyoung Forumeast

Forum Neil YOUNG francophone

AccueilAccueil  PublicationsPublications  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
-40%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Tefal Ingenio Emotion – Batterie de cuisine 10 pièces (induction, ...
59.99 € 99.99 €
Voir le deal

Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979

+6
davcom
No fun
kotsa
Mr. Soul
Esther
sly
10 participants
Aller à la page : 1, 2  Suivant
AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 Empty
MessageSujet: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 7:23

Bon assez rigolé, il faut rattraper le temps perdu maintenant!

Paul Cantin de No Depression ouvre le débat sur le Volume 2 qui s'annonce passionnant sur ce que je considère personnellement comme la grande période de NY. Après, les outtakes de Trans, des Blue Notes et des trucs avec Pearl Jam, j'avoue que ça m'excite moins, pour rester poli

Time Fades Away Era
Young followed up the multi-million selling Harvest by hiring most of the studio band from those sessions and taking them on the road to record a new record before live audiences.
What might be in the vault?

Demos -- McDonough suggests there were demos of some songs recorded before the tour

Video – Producer Elliott Mazer had a video link-up between the stage and the remote recording truck. It’s not clear if any of those video recordings were archived.

Live – Multiple dates were recorded, so there would be multiple takes of the songs that appeared on the proper album, plus also some of the older material performed at those shows.

Special treasure – March 31, 1973 in Oakland, Young reportedly performed “Southern Man” but interrupted the song when he observed an African American cop punch out a fan. Young left the stage and a riot ensued. Including this performance on Archives Volume 2 would test Young’s commitment to a warts and all document.

Human Highway
Young worked on songs for a proposed CSNY album at his Broken Arrow Ranch and in Hawaii for an album entitled Human Highway. Graham Nash told me in an interview: "We went to Hawaii with this great album planned called Human Highway. Great songs. We had "Human Highway," we had "Wind On The Water." We had "Carry Me." We had a lot of great stuff. We ended up arguing about something silly and never ended up making it." The album was scrapped although some songs were resurrected later (the title cut ended up on Comes A Time and provided the title for a later Young film).

Presumably demos or recordings of varying readiness from the aborted album project.

Tonight’s The Night era

Alternate version of the album – Longtime Young associate David Briggs prepared a version of the album with a different running order and included some bizarre between-song chatter captured during the nocturnal sessions at Studio Instrument Rentals in Los Angeles. Briggs suggested in Shakey that the official version of Tonight’s The Night was a compromise; his was the real deal. It would be nice to let listeners decide.

Outtakes – Among the known outtakes is a version of the woozy band backing Joni Mitchell on a version of “Raised On Robbery.

Live tapes – Although little of the manic subsequent tour was officially recorded, the band did tape a series of shows at L.A. nightclub The Roxy. Some audience recordings of later shows could be excerpted just to show what the TTN band sounded like once they really got cooking.

Film – Some 8mm film of the band was shot at the Roxy shows, but McDonough says the reels are lost.

On The Beach era

Outtakes/alternate versions – McDonough writes of an alternate version of “Tonight’s The Night” with former CSNY bassist Greg Reeves, a ballad called “Traces,” a version of “Winterlong” and a take of “Bad Fog of Loneliness” described as “wonderfully inebriated." As well, there’s said to be a bizarre recording of the traditional song “Greensleeves” bookended with some surreal chatter between Young and Rusty Kershaw.

Homegrown

Unreleased album -- Around May 1974, Young’s relationship with Snodgrass finally unraveled and the misery of that time sparked a run of songwriting that culminated (or didn't culminate, as it turned out) in the unreleased album Homegrown. Songs mentioned from this era include “Homefires,” “Bad News,” “Love Is A Rose,” “Barefoot Floors,” “Love/Art Blues,” “Through My Sails,” “Old Homestead,” “Hawaii,” “Star of Bethlehem,” “Separate Ways,” “L.A. Girls & Ocean Boys.” Some received later release, some have circulated among fans and some like “L.A. Girls,” morphed into later songs (“Dangerbird” from Zuma). From an autobiographical perspective, it makes sense to collect up versions of these songs dating from that era and listen to them as a piece.

Live recording – There is highly-regarded audience recording of a secret show Young performed at the Bottom Line in New York from this period.

Video -- There is an oft-bootlegged video of a CSNY gig at London’s Wembley stadium which is in very high quality video, but captures a rather listless performance. Still, it could be mined for highlights.

Other session outtakes – While in England, Young recorded the track “White Line” as a duet with Robbie Robertson of The Band (who opened the Wembley date). In December 1974, Young returned to Quadrophonic, the Nashville studio where he cut Harvest to record “Separate Ways” with The Band’s Levon Helm. McDonough describes the result as “the ultimate ballad of failed romance.” Other recordings mentioned from this period – “Homegrown,” “We Don’t Smoke It,” “Vacancy,” “Try” and a song called “Give Me Strength” which McDonough calls “almost mystical.” In January, 1975, Young cut “Kansas,” “Mexico” (like “Brian Wilson at his ethereal best,” says McDonough). At the last minute, the album assembled from this productive spurt of writing and recording was canceled and Tonight’s The Night was taken off the shelf and released instead.

Chess Studio sessions
While in Chicago in 1974, Young spent some time in the fabled blues label’s studio but the results were described by McDonough as “a washout.”

Criteria Studios
The sessions (helmed in Miami by legendary Atlantic Records producer and engineer Tom Dowd) began as a Stills-Young collaboration, converted into yet another CSNY reunion and then back into Stills-Young, much to Crosby and Nash’s chagrin. The resulting album, Long May You Run, and tour were contentious.

Here's what Graham Nash told me of the incident: "Me and David weren't talking to Stephen. I was living in San Francisco, and Neil comes to my house and says, "Hey, listen to this." He puts a cassette of six songs. Three of his and three of Stephen's. They were damn good. Neil gets you like that, every time. No matter what you are arguing about, you can't argue about something great coming off tape, through speakers. He didn't argue. He put the tape on and it was great. I said, what's this? He said, it is something me and Stephen are working on in Miami. You wanna piece? And it was great music. I said, f--k! I called David and said, you better get over to my house. Neil is here. David comes over. Neil plays him the tape. I mean, what an a--hole! He knows we can't deny it.Me and David were in the middle of making our own record called Whistling Down The Wire, we didn't have a release date. It wasn't finished yet. We put our plans on hold. We go to Miami and sing for a month in Miami. It all sounds great. We had to get back and finish our record. We can't finish the CSNY record. But Neil and Stephen had booked a tour as the Stills-Young Band. They need something out there to promote. So when David and I got back, they had taken off our voices and put it out as a Stills-Young record. I can't tell you how much that hurt, because you know, it is not like we sweat blood, but we do sweat blood for our music. To have it erased for non-musical reasons was very painful for me and David."

Outtakes -- Do any of the CSNY versions of that material still exist?

Live recordings -- McDonough mentions a soundboard recording from Providence exists, with an interesting Stills-Young version of “The Loner.”

Zuma era
It’s difficult to sort out what material may be salvageable from this episode aside from the album itself.

Outtakes – “Born To Run,” a track Young recorded for Zuma, Freedom and Ragged Glory, began here. An early version of “Powderfinger” and a track called “Get Over Here, Woman” may also be in the vault. A session at Indigo Studio provided versions of “Powderfinger,” “Pocahontas,” “Out of the Blue,” “Ride My Llama,” “Like An Inca” and "Will To Love." Later sessions in the “white house” on Young’s ranch included some recordings with Nicolette Larson and Linda Ronstadt, which produced the track “Bite The Bullet.”

Live Recordings – A best-of tape from the acoustic portions of Young’s 1976 tour has been widely bootlegged as “The Bernstein Tape” (in honor of Young’s archivist Joel Bernstein). Quality recordings from Japanese dates with Crazy Horse also exist.

Video – Great video of Neil and Crazy Horse in Japan and London has circulated among fans under the title Yesteryear of The Horse. There’s also some strange footage from the UK of Young busking in the streets, all but ignored by passers by with the exception of one eagle-eyed fan who brandishes for the camera a music paper adorned with Young’s image and then points knowingly at the mysterious sidewalk performer.

Chrome Dreams
An alternate version of American Stars 'n' Bars, widely bootlegged over the years. Includes a solo version of "Powerderfinger," "Stringman" and "Hold Back The Tears." Bootleg versions have also included "Campaigner," and a slower version of "Sedan Delivery".

Comes A Time era
Alternate version of the album – Young initially recorded this as a solo acoustic record. The label convinced him to dress it up with strings and elaborate backing. The original solo version, divided into “Ocean Side” and “Country Side” is a natural for Archives Vol. 2.
Outtake – Young and Nicolette Larson recorded a duet on a song Annie Oakley called “Lady Wingshot.”

The Ducks
For a time, Young relocated to Santa Cruz and played with former Moby Grape member Bob Mosley as The Ducks. A planned album was scrapped, but live recordings exist.

Rust Never Sleeps era

Outtakes – Young performed in the studio and onstage with Devo during this period, including a chaotic version of “Hey Hey, My My” recorded at Different Fur studio in San Francisco (video evidence from the Human Highway film here). As well, while the live songs on the Rust Never Sleeps LP featured some overdubs (including a slamming door on “Hey Hey, My My”), the Live Rust versions were unadorned, so both versions could be included.

Film – A set of 1978 acoustic shows at San Francisco’s Boarding House were filmed. As well, it’s unknown for certain but likely that the movie Rust Never Sleeps could and should yield some additional material..
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
sly
"Un Divan, c'est un DI-VAN!"
Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 Default6
sly

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 8:23

Sans compter qu'il a parlé d'un Time Fade Away II...
Il n'y aura jamais assez de place dans un volume affraid
Esther
Charly O'leg
Charly O'leg
Esther

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 9:14

Et c'est annoncé pour 2033 ou on peut compter dessus l'année prochaine?
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 9:29

esther a écrit:
Et c'est annoncé pour 2033 ou on peut compter dessus l'année prochaine?

C'est pas annoncé, c'est juste un journaliste qui a fait de la Neil-fiction.
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

Localisation : Alsace, berceau mondial de la culture et de la bière

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 13:04

Moi je dis que comme l'actuel s'appelle Vol. 1 on peut supposer qu'il y aura au minimum un Vol. 2 (c'est balèze ce que j'ai écrit là Laughing )
Quant à en connaître le contenu et la date de sortie c'est une toute autre histoire Shocked

Dernière édition par Mr. Soul le Mer 3 Juin - 23:09, édité 1 fois
kotsa
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
kotsa

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 3 Juin - 22:21

je ne croirai qu'au Volume 1 que lorsque je l'aurai entre mes mains! Laughing
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyJeu 4 Juin - 13:40

C'est clair que la période 1973 - 1979 est tellement riche qu'il faudrait 2 volumes. Ou un volume de 20 CD ? J'ose pas imaginer le prix...

En tout cas, le Volume 2 sera de très très loin le plus intéressant, avec de superbes concerts, des vidéos à ne plus savoir qu'en faire et une quantité astronomique d'inédits et de prises alternatives.

Je cautionne la sortie du concert du 31 mars 1973, le bootleg est un grand classique avec des versions époustouflantes d'"Alabama", de "Last Dance" et d'autres encore.
No fun
Tabarnak!
Tabarnak!
No fun

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyJeu 4 Juin - 13:53

Le volume 2 sera énorme oui !
(mais pas le 3 Rolling Eyes )
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyJeu 4 Juin - 19:07

... et dire qu'il va falloir attendre 20 ans lol!

Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyJeu 4 Juin - 23:39

Mr. Soul a écrit:
... et dire qu'il va falloir attendre 20 ans lol!

A se demander si il sortira de ton vivant... Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 190139
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyVen 5 Juin - 6:09

Twisted Evil What a Face affraid

Palme d'Or
Palme d'Or
davcom

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyLun 29 Juin - 14:23

Perso, je suis impatient d'écouter le volume qui couvrira les années 90, en ayant l'espoir qu'il sortira quelques sessions live du crazy horse tournée Weld ou year of the horse avec les classiques qui ne figurent justement pas sur ces albums, comme cowgirl in the sand, down by the river, the loner, ainsi que d'autres comme winterlong etc...............

Un peu à l'instar des live qui viennent de sortir dernièrement ( massey hall, fillmore, riverboat.........)
Crazy Bear
Rusty Papa Ours
Rusty Papa Ours
Crazy Bear

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 1 Juil - 7:43

davcom a écrit:
Perso, je suis impatient d'écouter le volume qui couvrira les années 90, en ayant l'espoir qu'il sortira quelques sessions live du crazy horse tournée Weld ou year of the horse avec les classiques qui ne figurent justement pas sur ces albums, comme cowgirl in the sand, down by the river, the loner, ainsi que d'autres comme winterlong etc...............

Un peu à l'instar des live qui viennent de sortir dernièrement ( massey hall, fillmore, riverboat.........)

les archives des années 90 ...! il faut attendre une bonne vingtaine d'année avant de commencer à entendre parler du projet, surtout que là il dispose de tonnes de materiel audio et video !
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 20:36

Preview de Guitar World à paraître en octobre 2009:

Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 Gw1009-Neil-Young

Il y a parle du vol. 2 des Archives et notamment qu'y figurera Time Fades Away II cheers

"One thing I'll tell you about the next volume of Archives is that Time Fades Away II is in there. And it's interesting because the whole thing has a different drummer than what was on that album. I switched drummers halfway through the tour- Kenny Buttrey was in there for the first half, and Johnny Barbata came in for the second. It's a completely different thing, with completely different songs. So that's interesting. There's lots of stuff like that that I'm working on right now for the second volume."

Vieux con.
Vieux con.
Rust

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 20:48

heu pourrais-tu m'envoyer le dossier sur The Wall vu par les rescapés du Floyd? ça m'intéresse étant floydien Wink merci
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 22:28

Apparemment, c'est en vente depuis le 28 juillet. Pourquoi c'est le numéro d'octobre, mystère! J'ai deux heures d'attente à Houston mercredi, avec un peu de pot, je trouverai un exemplaire.
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 22:59

voici ce qu'il dit de TFAII

Merci à Thrashers Wheat

"One thing I'll tell you about the next volume of Archives is that Time Fades Away II is in there. And it's interesting because the whole thing has a different drummer than what was on that album. I switched drummers halfway through the tour- Kenny Buttrey was in there for the first half, and Johnny Barbata came in for the second. It's a completely different thing, with completely different songs. So that's interesting. There's lots of stuff like that that I'm working on right now for the second volume."
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 23:01

Jacques-Eric a écrit:
Apparemment, c'est en vente depuis le 28 juillet. Pourquoi c'est le numéro d'octobre, mystère! J'ai deux heures d'attente à Houston mercredi, avec un peu de pot, je trouverai un exemplaire.
Si tu en trouves un ça serait sympa de le partager avec nous Wink

Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptySam 1 Aoû - 23:09

Mr. Soul a écrit:
Jacques-Eric a écrit:
Si tu en trouves un ça serait sympa de le partager avec nous Wink

je reviens le 24. J'aurai le temps d'en trouver un! J'ai l'impression que c'est un gros dossier ;-)
Mr. Soul
Modofétichiste
Modofétichiste
Mr. Soul

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyDim 2 Aoû - 6:17

Passes un bonjour à NY et dis-lui qu'il est toujours le bienvenu chez nous Wink

Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMar 8 Déc - 18:51

Archives Guy sollicite des documents, audio ou autres, auprès des fans pour le volume 2, "1972-"maybe" 1980."
nyzwok
Topanga Computer ©
Topanga Computer ©
nyzwok

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMar 8 Déc - 19:03

on va lui filer l'adresse du site,y'a peut être des liens bootlegs qui vont l'intéresser ^^

"Un Divan, c'est un DI-VAN!"
Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 Default6
sly

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMar 8 Déc - 20:02

lol! on ne pourra pas lui reprocher de ne pas être exhaustif afro
stringman
Monsieur palourde.
Monsieur palourde.
stringman

Localisation : Pas Lourdes (plus au Nord Ouest vers Praire Y Wind)

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 9 Déc - 13:54

Jacques-Eric a écrit:
Archives Guy sollicite des documents, audio ou autres, auprès des fans pour le volume 2, "1972-"maybe" 1980."

C'est quand même surprenant cette requête scratch scratch
La position de Neil sur les bootlegs aurait-elle évoluée?

J'y suis Shocked !! c'est une tentative d'infiltration par Hadopi!

Neil nous prépare des archives participatives, c'est à la mode!
Crazy Bear
Rusty Papa Ours
Rusty Papa Ours
Crazy Bear

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 EmptyMer 9 Déc - 14:08

stringman a écrit:
Jacques-Eric a écrit:

C'est quand même surprenant cette requête scratch scratch
La position de Neil sur les bootlegs aurait-elle évoluée?

J'y suis Shocked !! c'est une tentative d'infiltration par Hadopi!

Neil nous prépare des archives participatives, c'est à la mode!

le lien est valable depuis la sortie des archives vol 1 en juin dernier.
C'est peut être dans un soucis de rassembler le plus de documents, y compris des documents de fans (coupure presse, enregistrement ...)
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979   Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979 Empty

Archives, Volume 2 1973/1979
Page 1 sur 2Aller à la page : 1, 2  Suivant